The real interview,

Yesterday, I had an interview. The job position was for accountancy and bookkeeping, and to be honest, I didn’t match the profile as much as I would have liked. I went to the office, thinking that this interview would be like all the others. Same questions, same routine and I had a list of stock answers in my mind.

But, for the first time since I’ve been doing interviews, I had a proper accounting/bookkeeping interview. I found myself in front of a smart, cultivated and experienced man, who knew what he really needed in his company. When my CV was reviewed in front of me, I realized how bad it was. Let me explain, as I told you before I had a career advisor in the company which supposedly I am doing an “internship” for. My career advisor made my CV, without knowing me. I changed a few things before, because I was not able to talk about them in an interview, but not everything, so when I was in this office and they asked me about some things written in my CV, I was not able to explain them, that was my first error. I wasn’t able to make my CV realistic because my career advisor didn’t know me. You can not build a CV if you don’t know the person.
 
Once I’d swallowed this bitter pill, I did a kind of exam, designed to prove my skills. I completed all the answers, but I knew that I’d made mistakes. So, the interviewer reviewed this exam in front of me, he told me things I needed to improve, and he gave me some reasonable arguments why he couldn’t hire me. And that was my second error. He was absolutely right. Now, I have the main points to improve and make myself a stronger candidate. My career advisor was not able to do this simple exam for me, even though, I’d paid for it

My conclusion: Firstly, I must thank this man for dedicating his valuable time, when I know he’s busy. Secondly, recruiters: WAKE UP, because I want to do good interviews, I don’t want to memorize answers. Thirdly, Jobseekers, Don’t trust, companies that do your CV, you will lose your money, because they will send you a CV that is not who you are.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog